[Oisf-users] Suricata in container

Victor Roemer viroemer at cisco.com
Tue Jun 2 19:28:03 UTC 2015

I’m still pretty new to docker (just to be clear) and have not tried
this yet-

This is how I am planning to deploy IPS for my HTTP server(s)

HTTP server “exposes” its port to other containers only; (not bound to
host port)

IPS container “exposes” port 80 and is bound to the host network. IPS
container is started with “—link :httpserv” to perform MITM of the
servers traffic.

Dockerfile not included; the commands I expect to run would be:

|$ docker run -p 127.0.0.1:12345 --name application <http_server_image>
$ docker run -p 80:80 --link application:httpserv --name ips <snort_or_suricata_image>

(YMMV, specifically I’m uncertain of the “—link” option)

 From here, it becomes a question of how the IPS container firewall
rules are setup (assuming NFQ+daq for my case).
In the example above, I would have to do some sort of NATing (:80 ->
127.0.0.1:12345).

This seems all good; but I still feel like I’m over doing it and that
docker may provide a more reasonable
out-of-box magic to ease this further.

Otherwise, for passive setups, it should be super easy. Add flags to
(refer to “https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/manell/wireshark/“).

​