[Oisf-users] What does this message mean?

robert.jamison at bt.com robert.jamison at bt.com
Mon Jun 29 18:35:49 EDT 2015

>>How is this a problem?
If the response triggering this alert is indeed to a legitimate DNS request, your IDS might only be seeing traffic going one-way across a network span *this is more frequently see with half-open SYN alerts*

>> What kind of attack or intrusion is implied by a (seemingly) spurious response?
Too many of these and you could have a DoS condition; https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA13-088A
could also be an attacker probing to see how devices on the network response to unsolicited DNS responses

Then there are the specific BIND vulnerabilities here, but most of them are for crafted packets (which the responses may be IN ADDITION to the fact they were unsolicited):

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00913/0/BIND-9-Security-Vulnerability-Matrix.html

Rob