[Oisf-users] Suricata 2.0.8 -->Cannot get logs to SIEM

Brandon Lattin latt0050 at umn.edu
Tue Jun 30 14:42:18 UTC 2015

Ack.

nc is great for backdoors, but not exactly my first choice for production
configurations.

Just export it with a specific facility.

rsyslog.conf snippet:
local5.*;mark.info              @foo.bar.com

suricata.yaml snippet (note the double syslog config; necessary as eve-log
to syslog doesn't do anything without "- syslog:" also configured; someday
this will get fixed?) :

  - syslog:
      enabled: yes
      # reported identity to syslog. If omitted the program name (usually
      # suricata) will be used.
      identity: "suricata"
      facility: local5
      level: Info ## possible levels: Emergency, Alert, Critical,
                   ## Error, Warning, Notice, Info, Debug

  # Extensible Event Format (nicknamed EVE) event log in JSON format
  - eve-log:
      append: yes
      enabled: yes
      type: syslog #file|syslog|unix_dgram|unix_stream
      #filename: eve-port0.json
      # the following are valid when type: syslog above
      identity: "suricata"
      facility: local5
      level: Info ## possible levels: Emergency, Alert, Critical,
                   ## Error, Warning, Notice, Info, Debug
      types:
        - alert:
            payload: no           # enable dumping payload in Base64
            payload-printable: yes # enable dumping payload in printable
(lossy) format
            packet: no            # enable dumping of packet (without
stream segments)
            http: no              # enable dumping of http fields

Or you could just use Splunk with a Splunk Universal Forwarder and just eat
the eve.json directly off the sensor ;-P

--
Brandon Lattin
Security Analyst