[Oisf-users] multiple alerts being logged to unified2

Eric Leblond eric at regit.org
Mon Mar 2 13:18:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Mon, 2015-03-02 at 13:53 +0100, Peter Manev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Russell Fulton <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Is there a way to tell suri to log a single alert per ‘event’.  I am now seeing lots of cases where I get multiple alerts with different packet data for a single detection event.  Most of these are for
>
> Is it possible to give an example?
>
> > rules where the detection would have occurred on the reassembled stream so I assume that suri just dumps the stream buffer because it does not know which packet the data was in.

There is currently no option to disable this behavior. It has been coded
as it is because unified2 format does not allow to add values to an
event.

You should be able to use the event id to match the unified2 objects
created in link with a Suricata alert.

> > Many of these are for compressed content so the raw packet data is pretty useless anyway.  Since I am now getting suri to log pcaps and sucking them into moloch (spooling them to /run/shm) If I want to look at the stream I can get it from moloch.  BTW the packet capture spooled to moloch  seems to work well but it is still early days.
> >
> > I am using both fast and unified2 outputs.  I will probably soon move to eve and throw the lot in ES.  Will that suffer from the multiple alerts too?  I am guessing not since iirc eve does not log data by default.
>
> The number of alerts would be the same in ES.

Nope, the EVE format will contain one event per alert. All the stream
data will be put in the "stream" key.

BR,
--
Eric Leblond <eric at regit.org>