[Oisf-users] Comparative test between Palo Alto and Suricata

David Sussens dsussens at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:21:08 UTC 2015

Palo Alto's APPID is nothing but a classification system to be-able to
group applications and thus make blocking more absolute.  Its a great idea,
but Snort has just launched OpenAPPID.  I am certain that Suricata will be
able to support the same in the next few months.  Again though, its purely
a classification system, and in many instances muddies the waters quite a
bit.

I am not testing the firewalling functionality of the Palo Alto.  This is a
direct comparison between the Suricata IPS engine and the Palo Alto IPS
engine.

The results are interesting to say the least.  I will submit my findings in
Word Doc format if that's okay, as it makes it easier for me to capture the
pictorial type results out of Acunetix and OPENVAS.

The results will be in, in the next couple of days.  Will share them at
that point.