[Oisf-users] Suricata and Nginx

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Fri May 8 23:33:10 UTC 2015

Suricata cannot decrypt SSL traffic.

I assume you are going to configure Nginx on your external interface and
have your HTTP daemon listen on the loopback interface.  You can tell
suricata at runtime to monitor both interfaces, so it should see both
the encrypted and unencrypted traffic.

This will allow you to see issues with the SSL transport, as well as the
decrypted traffic.  Take care to set your environment variables
correctly, as you will want the loopback IP to be your $HOME_NET and the
Nginx to be considered an external IP, as its proxying the source of the
HTTP requests.

- -Coop