[Oisf-users] Out of band 10Gb Suricata

Brian Hennigar bhennigar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:34:09 UTC 2015

Hi,
I'm testing using Suricata with 10Gb fiber with out of band span ports (not
inline) and have noticed a high volume of packet loss.  Are there any best
practices for using 10Gb when NOT inline?

I'm testing, I'm using esxi 5.5 and a ubuntu 14.04 VM and vmxnet3 network
adapters.  The vm has 64gb ram and 8 cores.  All offloading options are
disabled on the interface.

*From stats.log*

capture.kernel_packets    | RxPcapeth71               | 10498699
capture.kernel_drops      | RxPcapeth71               | 8892234
capture.kernel_ifdrops    | RxPcapeth71               | 73

*From suricata.yaml*

stream:
  memcap: 14gb
  checksum-validation: no      # reject wrong csums
  inline: no                  # auto will use inline mode in IPS mode, yes
or no set it statically
  reassembly:
    memcap: 20gb
    depth: 64mb                  # reassemble 1mb into a stream
    toserver-chunk-size: 2560
    toclient-chunk-size: 2560
    randomize-chunk-size: yes

Thanks!!