[Oisf-users] Help with good configuration for Suricata install with Napatech card

Andreas Moe moe.andreas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:47:49 UTC 2015

Victor (or any one else for that matter), do you have any guides or
examples of how to set "best-practice" traffic distributions with regards
to Suricata processing? I have seen the same as described in this thread:
Less output on live network analysis VS output playback of the same traffic.

Scenario:
- A collection of VLANs aggreagted to a SPAN session, sent on two
interfaces (each interface is monitored by different machines)
- Interface 1 is Suricata (only running IDS) and tcpdump to capture the data
- Interface 2 is tcpdump.
- pcaps from VM/Interface 1 and VM/Interface 2 are compared and found
identical.
- Lots of RAM and CPU to go on, Tested on 10GBit/s and 1Gbit/s cards, with
different drivers. Tested traffic was only at between 100 and 600Mbit/s.
- Found alerts of VM/Interface 1 (live listening mode) is compared to
Suricata replay-pcap-mode of pcaps from VM/Interface 1 and VM/Interface 2
- Results indicate lower detection rate on the live running mode.

So, this traffic distribution / making sure that the same flow is sent to
the correct thread, any pointers on that? cluster_cpu, cluster_flow,
ethtool settings, os settings (linux/RHEL), etc?
I know its not a dirrectly associated sceniario, since the OP of the thread
was with regards to Napatech cards, which my exaplained scenario was not
utilizing.

TL;DR What i found nice to do, was to check the expected output (based on
suricata -r mode) vs live capture mode, and comparing outputs, and not just
blindly looking at the stats counters saying that there is no drop (either
kernel, memcap, or other).