[Oisf-users] AF_Packet multiple capture interfaces

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Thu Oct 29 10:35:04 UTC 2015

Ya, definitely a different cluster id for each interface.

I’ve never tried auto for multiple nic’s, I imagine someone else can comment there. I generally split my # of available cores across the interfaces for threads per, by my expected load distribution on each nic. Sometimes oversubscribing if they’re not massive throughput cores (i.e giving out 12 threads among 3 interfaces in your 6 core box example). I have no scientific basis here, just figure if any nic gets a massive spike it would be able to use all available resources faster.

I hope to be correted in the above theories though. Just putting my theory into words makes me feel there’s probably a better answer. :)    I’ve never done this on a massive throughput box. Generally the big ones (10gig+) are single interface affairs.

Matt