[Oisf-users] Suricata 3.0 / 3.0.1 IPS Perfomance Anomaly?

Berk Gulenler gulenler at boun.edu.tr
Tue Apr 5 09:00:46 UTC 2016

Dear All,

I'm having performance problems over HTTP with "-march=native" flag. I'm
sending you test results that I have made on the same hardware and with
same configuration.

Suricata 3.0.1:
     * IPS
     * --enable-nfqueue --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
     * *CFLAGS -g -O2 -march=native*
     * workers mode
     * af_packet: threads: 16, cluster-type: cluster_cpu, use-mmap: yes
     * threading: set-cpu-affinity: yes
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690 x 2
Intel X540-AT2
Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
gcc version 4.8.4

wget over Suricata: (results are consistent over many tests)
1.784.676.352 55,1MB/s (single flow)

Suricata 3.0.1:
     * IPS
     * --enable-nfqueue --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
     * *CFLAGS -g -O2 -march=core2*
     * workers mode
     * af_packet: threads: 16, cluster-type: cluster_cpu, use-mmap: yes
     * threading: set-cpu-affinity: yes
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690 x 2
Intel X540-AT2
Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
gcc version 4.8.4

wget over Suricata: (results are consistent over many tests)
1.784.676.352 74,8MB/s (single flow)

However there are no performance problems observed over iperf (tcp)
benchmarks in both tests. (~860 Mbit/s over single flow)

Thanks.