[Oisf-users] EXTERNAL: Re: Making Suricata Alert Per Matching Packet

Darren S. phatbuckett at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 07:51:04 UTC 2016

In situations where multiple different rules might match a single
packet or stream or transaction, does Suricata allow each possible
rule to be matched to the target and an alert to be generated for each
matching rule? Or is this short-circuited based on the logic you
describe?

For example:

Payload contains string "abc".

Rule 1: content:"a";

Rule 2: content:"b";

Rule 3: content:"c";

When that payload is encountered by the engine, are 3 individual
alerts generated or only one for the first matching rule?

- Darren