[Oisf-users] Trying to build suricata with hyperscan under FreeBSD 10.3

Viiret, Justin justin.viiret at intel.com
Tue Apr 26 23:36:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

This is because the Hyperscan port you have built does not include shared libraries, and this currently causes the hs_compile test in configure.ac to fail. I believe that the current FreeBSD port does allow you to switch on the SHARED option when you build it, which will build shared libraries and solve this particular issue. We also recommend the NATIVE option, which will allow the use of modern instruction set extensions as well.

(For background: this issue is because the compiler portion of the Hyperscan library is written in C++, but Suricata's configure script doesn't know that it needs C++ linkage for libhs when it tests for hs_compile(). With a shared library, the library itself knows about its dependency on the C++ standard library and takes care of it for us. We're looking into ways to clean this up a bit in the future.)

Best regards,
    Justin