[Oisf-users] AF_Packet + Multiple interfaces + BPF oddities

Andrew Thrift andrew at networklabs.co.nz
Mon Aug 29 03:13:36 UTC 2016

Hi List,

I have Suricata 3.1.1 on Ubuntu Xenial.  I have successfully
configured Suricata to use AF_Packet and to listen on multiple
interfaces, however when I enable BPF filtering on multiple
interfaces, it seems to stop reception of packets on enp2s0, enp3s0
and enp4s0.

e.g. with the following configuration:

#10Gigabit port1
  - interface: enp1s0
    cluster-id: 98
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes
    bpf-filter: vlan 12
#10Gigabit port2
  - interface: enp2s0
    cluster-id: 99
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes
    bpf-filter: vlan 12
#1Gbit port1
  - interface: enp3s0
    cluster-id: 100
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes
    bpf-filter: vlan 11
#1Gbit port2
  - interface: enp4s0
    cluster-id: 101
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes
    bpf-filter: vlan 11

Suricata will receive traffic on vlan 12 on enp1s0, but all later
interfaces will NOT "see" packets.

If I remove the BPF filter from enp3s0 and enp4s0 they will start to
receive all packets (including on vlan11), but enp2s0 will NOT see
packets on vlan12.

Is this expected behaviour ?

Thank you,

Andrew Thrift