[Oisf-users] Suricata and DDoS Attack

Leonard Jacobs ljacobs at netsecuris.com
Wed Jan 27 13:27:20 UTC 2016

The following is what was reported to us before the appliance was rebooted.

After the ISP reported that the DDoS attack on them was over, the connection at this particular location did not stabilize until Suricata was restarted with a reboot of appliance.  But before the reboot the following was reported.

-          Rebooting the firewall did nothing to help
-          ISP rebooting their OST but didn’t help
-          Sometimes pages would load, but most of the time, not 100% of any website would load
-          They could traceroute to these sites and couldn’t find a common link (bad router upstream, etc.)
-          Ping worked the whole time post-DDoS attack up until the appliance was rebooted

I explained to them why the last bullet was the case.  When Suricata is in af-packet mode, the bridges will go down on reboot until Suricata is back up and running.

We can't figure out if this is just coincidental to the DDoS activity.

The ISP provided the public IP addresses of what they think is the source of the DDoS attack.  We checked them against the event database.  None of those addresses never hit this Suricata appliance.

Thanks.
Leonard