[Oisf-users] IPS alternatives to Snort's guardian?

Eric Leblond eric at regit.org
Wed Jan 27 22:29:27 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Wed, 2016-01-27 at 22:07 +0000, John Devine wrote:
> I am running the wheezy backport and according to the documentation
> I've read Suricata needs to be in nfqueue mode to run as an IPS. In
> order for that to work it needs to have traffic forwarded through it
> and I don't want to have that be the only active firewall on the box
> because I have other systems (proxy etc.) tied in to iptables.

You can update your iptables ruleset to have everything working
together. I've described some possible setup in my blog:

https://home.regit.org/2011/04/some-new-features-of-ips-mode-in-suricat
a-1-1beta2/

It is not straightforward but it can be done via some of the available
suricata options.

Not resisting to mention is is so much easier with nftables:
https://home.regit.org/2014/02/suricata-and-nftables/

>  I would prefer to have an IDS essentially as a packet sniffer and
> have a separate piece of software create iptables rules based on
> those alerts. Currently I am doing exactly that with Snort (IDS) and
> Guardian (IPS). Though I am currently working with Suricata to see if
> I can integrate it in this regard ultimately to replace Snort.

Almost sure you can replace guardian with a modified version of DOM. If
you can't code it, let me know what type of configuration you want and
I will get a look to see if it is feasible.

BR,

--
Eric Leblond <eric at regit.org>