[Oisf-users] Cannot allocate memory : Netmap, Suricata

Kancheti Sai Srinivas (Security Engineering) kancheti.sai at flipkart.com
Fri Jul 1 18:38:23 UTC 2016

Hello,

>From your earlier help I was able to set up Netmap support for Suricata.
Thank you for that.

However, I am facing errors when running it in Netmap mode.

I have tuned my NIC using ethtool to turn off all offloading and to
increase TX and RX buffers to 4096. I have also disabled LRO and GRO.

I have changed the netmap module parameters too.
I have changed ring_size to the maximum ring buffer size of NIC, which is
4096.
I have changed if_size to 4096. (I'm not sure about this?)

This is the error I get:

[ERRCODE: SC_ERR_NETMAP_CREATE(263)] - Couldn't register em1 with netmap:
cannot allocate memory

netmap_obj_malloc                                        no more netmap_buf
objects

netmap_new_bufs                                          no more buffers
after 4094 of 4096

netmap_mem2_rings_create                          Cannot allocate buffers
for RX_ring

My interface is em1.

Thank you for your help!
--