[Oisf-users] Suricata goes wild with SURICATA STREAM alerts

Marius wishinet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:46:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have capture problems with a Suricata 3.0.1. I'd appreciate some ideas on
this.

I suspect it has to do with my Suricata configuration. The traffic is sent
to the sensor via an f5 clone pool.
( https://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/solutions/public/8000/500/sol8573.html )
.

* The traffic is copied into an IDS VLan and received on an interface. The
MAC address is rewritten.
A packet looks like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwyhoK4VyctFWWN6LVlTdjdIT00/view

* With the clone pools we can get SSL offloaded traffic from the LBs. Suri
doesn't do SSL decryption.

On the sensor my interface config is:
enp17s0f1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 9000
        inet 192.168.99.94  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.99.255

* The interface is not set in promiscuous mode, because it receives the
traffic directly via the MAC.

The rules, which indicate an error, are mostly stream engine related:
SURICATA STREAM 3way handshake with ack in wrong dir [Classification:
(null)]
SURICATA STREAM ESTABLISHED packet out of window
SURICATA STREAM ESTABLISHED invalid ack
SURICATA STREAM Packet with invalid ack
SURICATA STREAM FIN invalid ack

* these alerts go wild
* I also get valid alerts for TOR IPs and some XSS. However that is a
fraction.

* the stats.log:
Date: 7/12/2016 -- 19:22:01 (uptime: 0d, 00h 26m 35s)
Counter                                    | TM Name                   |
Value
capture.kernel_packets                     | Total                     |
49950854
capture.kernel_drops                       | Total                     |
38149996
decoder.pkts                               | Total                     |
11664420
decoder.bytes                              | Total                     |
5930632578
decoder.ipv4                               | Total                     |
11664416
decoder.ethernet                           | Total                     |
11664420
decoder.tcp                                | Total                     |
11664416
decoder.avg_pkt_size                       | Total                     | 508
decoder.max_pkt_size                       | Total                     |
1566
tcp.sessions                               | Total                     |
568197
tcp.pseudo                                 | Total                     |
29014
tcp.syn                                    | Total                     |
593612
tcp.synack                                 | Total                     |
522806
tcp.rst                                    | Total                     |
9906
tcp.segment_memcap_drop                    | Total                     |
36066
tcp.stream_depth_reached                   | Total                     | 24
tcp.reassembly_gap                         | Total                     |
159155
detect.alert                               | Total                     |
2041259
flow_mgr.closed_pruned                     | Total                     |
104504
flow_mgr.new_pruned                        | Total                     |
773441
flow.spare                                 | Total                     |
20560
flow.tcp_reuse                             | Total                     |
2032
tcp.memuse                                 | Total                     |
52727808
tcp.reassembly_memuse                      | Total                     |
2147483622
http.memuse                                | Total                     |
222223958
flow.memuse                                | Total                     |
96075664

* My suspicion is that my config has a problem, because suri does not
utilize memory or CPU a lot. The machine is almost idle.
* Peak is 20 MB per second - nothing extra ordinary here

I use af-packet in Suri:

af-packet:
  - interface: enp17s0f1
    threads: 1
    cluster-id: 99
    cluster-type: cluster_flow
    defrag: yes
    # 12 GB, machine has 32 GB
    buffer-size: 12884901888
    disable-promisc: yes
    use-mmap: yes
    checksum-checks: auto

defrag:
  max-frags: 65535
  prealloc: yes
  timeout: 120

# had no effect
vlan:
  use-for-tracking: false

stream:
  memcap: 4096mb
  # had no effect
 checksum-validation: yes      # reject wrong csums
  inline: no                    # no inline mode
  reassembly:
    memcap: 2048mb
    depth: 1mb                  # reassemble 1mb into a stream
    toserver-chunk-size: 2560
    toclient-chunk-size: 2560
# I am unsure about these
# midstream: true
  # async-oneside: true
 # also no effect:
  max-synack-queued: 10

* suri produces PCAPs, and logs. The engine is stable. But somehow the cap
(and match) processes don't work.
I'm not sure where to look next.

Best,
Marius