[Oisf-users] FreeBSD NETMAP guide

elof2 at sentor.se elof2 at sentor.se
Thu Mar 10 11:48:28 UTC 2016

Hi all, especially FreeBSD users.

In the docs directory there's an old textfile for FreeBSD 8.

I would greatly appreciate if the FreeBSD users merged together an updated
textfile with hints, tips and tricks for FreeBSD 10.x/11.x, with the new
NETMAP support.

Examples of topics I'd like:

What hardware (NICs) is known to work good?

rc.conf
- give examples and explain that e.g. options "-lro" and "monitor" should
be used (for IDS mode)

What tweaks to put in /etc/sysctl.conf (and /boot/loader.conf???).
- net.bpf.zerocopy_enable=1 ?
- net.bpf.maxbufsize= huge numer? How large? 15% of total RAM?
- kern.ipc.maxsockbuf? kern.threads.max_threads_per_proc? dev.ix.0.fc=0?
- etc

What config/tweaks to put in suricata.yaml
- specifically for NETMAP
- Mapping CPUs to queues
- recommended runmode
- etc

If you people can feed me your thoughts and experiences, I'm happy to
put together a new textfile (FreeBSD.NETMAP.txt) for the docs dir.

It's time to show the world that linux+PF-RING isn't the only way to go.

/Elof