[Oisf-users] 20Gbps - is it possible?!

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 15 18:11:11 UTC 2016

You need more cores if you want to run the full ET Pro ruleset on all
traffic.  I would recommend at least 24 Intel cores or 32 AMD cores per
10 Gbps interface.  And to be honest that may not even be enough, as
that is assuming filtering of "Top Talkers" like NetFlix and YouTube.

It's possible if/when suricata implements the Intel "HyperScan" SSE
optimizations that performance will improve.

A couple general hints (and to confirm what Peter Manev stated).

1.  You should be using suricata 3.0 at this point.  Performance is
improved compared to prior versions.

2.  Make sure you are using a 'fresh' kernel and NIC drivers.

3.  Get suricata running with all rules files disabled first, to ensure
that the packet capture and flow tracking is working properly.  Make
sure to disable all off-loading of the NIC.

4.  Assuming that is working properly, start enabling just the rule
files that have the highest value for your organization.  For example,
the web_client.rules are very expensive in terms of CPU cycles, so
consider leaving them disabled for now.

If you are still having performance problems contact me off-list and I
can give you some tips to increase performance on over-subscribed hardware.

-Coop