[Oisf-users] dev-detect-grouping-v174, only 2 cores being used?

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:14:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Barkley, Joey
<Joey.Barkley at ingramcontent.com> wrote:
> ok, that seemed to do the trick. I've reduced my ruleset to around 6500 for now from the 19K I was trying before, but this branch with those settings seem pretty good. Previously I was loading up about 1500 rules with 16 cores and using about 45GB RAM. Now I'm running 6500 on 8 cores (really 6, 2 are for mgmt) and using around 13GB RAM. Startup time is drastically reduced as well. Seconds instead of minutes.
>
> All 6 processing cores seem to be working normally. mgmt cores are doing some work but not a lot. I'll continue to tweak my yaml file to see if I can max out performance with these lower memory requirements. If I continue to increase the groups I assume it will increase the memory usage, correct?

Yeah - but the increase observed so far  during live test is just minimal.
 I doubt you are going to need more than 600-800 groups - have a look
at your suricata.log when started in verbose mode ("-v") and you will
see how many groups are used for TCP/UDP and OTHER ...but as I
mentioned - during the testing I  have not seen it use more than 600
groups (per proto).

> Thanks for the help and all the hard work!

Peter Manev