[Oisf-users] Drops: From none to gigantic in the blink of an eye

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:07:13 UTC 2016

I spent a week or so chasing down problems like this and it turned out
to be due to SYN floods (both inbound and outbound) from clients
participating in a DOS attack.

When this happens you won't see anything out-of-the ordinary on the
sensor, other than high CPU load and packet drops.

I put together some sigs to detect this, copied below.  You may need to
tune the threshold settings for your network.

> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"LOCAL DOS Unusually fast SYN packets inbound, Potential DOS"; flags: S,12; threshold: type both, track by_dst, count 5000, seconds 5; classtype:misc-activity; sid:5;)
> alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"LOCAL DOS Unusually fast SYN packets outbound, Potential DOS"; flags: S,12; threshold: type both, track by_dst, count 5000, seconds 5; classtype:misc-activity; sid:6;)

Btw, this isn't a guarantee as to what you are seeing.  These sigs also
may put a high load on your sensor, so keep that in mind.

-Coop

On 3/23/2016 9:12 AM, Cloherty, Sean E wrote:
> Our Suricata installation went from normal to completely haywire
> overnight Tuesday.  It was cruising along with very low packet loss
> (0.002%) when suddenly between 2:24 and 2:29 AM it began to grow
> extremely rapidly.
>

> So far ‘ve checked and
>

> -          NIC stats for errors or drops are very few(at bottom of email)
>
> -          There were no changes to server Tuesday AM to account for this
>
> -          Network traffic just before and after exhibited no major
> change of volume.
>
> -          No errors are visible in the messages file, or Suricata logs
> that appear out of the ordinary.
>
> -          Since that time RAM usage and CPU utilization is much higher
> (no surprise)
>

> The most pertinent data is below or attached. Any input at all would be
> helpful to say the least . . .

Network Security Analyst
UCSD ITS Security Team
cnelson at ucsd.edu x41042