[Oisf-users] OISF-Users Discussion/Forum Platform

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Thu Mar 31 14:45:20 UTC 2016

On 31-03-16 02:45, David Zawdie wrote:
> Are there any efforts to consider alternative discussion/forum platforms
> for the OISF-users mailing list?
>
> Mailman is certainly a great platform (and works fine for most needs),
> but I'm finding some limitations when it comes to easily viewing status
> on discussion threads and the lack of categorization makes it difficult
> to find relevant posts in the archive (success with using the mailing
> list becomes a matter of knowing the correct search terms to use).
>
> I've found the new Cuckoo Community site (which uses Discourse for forum
> platform) to be quite easy to navigate, and may help with ensuring
> visibility across the numerous discussion threads that is seen in this
> very active mailing list.  If you're not familiar with Cuckoo Community,
> following is a link to their site that may provide a helpful example of
> possible gains with using a platform such as Discourse:
>
> https://community.cuckoosandbox.org
>
> If Discourse seems interesting, following is a link for more info:
>
> https://www.discourse.org
>
> There are many other platforms for discussion/forums; merely used Cuckoo
> Community/Discourse as an example (and by no means a suggestion as the
> only option).
>
> Curious what are the thoughts from the OISF-users community and
> maintainers on considering alternatives to Mailman?

Personally, I'm not a great fan of forums and such, but if there is
enough interest we can certainly consider things.

I guess the only exception for me is stackexchange. I find it's sites
like stackoverflow or askubuntu to be very useful, especially in the way
they often come up in google. It seems to be a proprietary platform
though. They have a 'staging' area for proposing new sites:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/categories/8/technology

Some things to consider about such an idea:
- lots of forums suffer from spam problems
- self hosting means hosting/admin/management overhead
- hosted services may go away, so would need good data export options

Other considerations?