[Oisf-users] Suricata inspects all packets?

Vishal Kotalwar V vishalkv at altencalsoftlabs.com
Wed May 11 11:48:00 UTC 2016

Thanks for the reply Andreas.

So you mean to say Suricata will receive all the packets and verdict given is per packet not per flow. This makes sense when no of attacks is more and we want to inspect each and every packet as we don't know which packet in a flow/stream may contain malicious data. But isn't this a huge overhead when we are talking about 10-40Gbps of line rate where most of the traffic is legitimate.

Will it be a good idea to allow or block traffic at netfilter/kernel it self based on the verdict suricata has given for initial packets of that flow/stream?

Thanks & regards,
Vishal V. Kotalwar