[Oisf-users] Suricata inspects all packets?

Andreas Herz andi at geekosphere.org
Thu May 12 09:39:45 UTC 2016

On 11/05/16 at 17:18, Vishal Kotalwar V wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Andreas.
>
> So you mean to say Suricata will receive all the packets and verdict
> given is per packet not per flow. This makes sense when no of attacks
> is more and we want to inspect each and every packet as we don't know
> which packet in a flow/stream may contain malicious data. But isn't
> this a huge overhead when we are talking about 10-40Gbps of line rate
> where most of the traffic is legitimate.

You can decide, based on your iptables/nftables rules, which packets are
received by suricata.
But if you want to investigate a connection/flow you need to make sure
every corresponding packet is going into suricata.

To reduce overhead you can add additional rules in front of suricata,
like droping STATE=invalid or other things you see no gain in
investigating.

> Will it be a good idea to allow or block traffic at netfilter/kernel
> it self based on the verdict suricata has given for initial packets of
> that flow/stream?

Not 100% sure what you want to achieve.

--
Andreas Herz