[Oisf-users] Suricata restart hard lock?

John Daly longjohngolf at gmail.com
Tue May 31 22:33:01 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 3:25 PM Andreas Herz <andi at geekosphere.org> wrote:

> On 31/05/16 at 22:19, John Daly wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm experiencing hard locks when I stop Suricata or try to restart
> > Suricata. Is anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Can you post the suricata.log or verbose output?
> --build-info as well?

suricata.log
---------------

31/5/2016 -- 22:17:17 - <Notice> - This is Suricata version 3.0.1 RELEASE
31/5/2016 -- 22:17:24 - <Warning> - [ERRCODE: SC_ERR_DEPRECATED_CONF(274)]
- Found deprecated eve-log setting "sensor-name". Please set sensor-name
globally.
31/5/2016 -- 22:17:24 - <Error> - [ERRCODE: SC_ERR_NETMAP_CREATE(263)] -
Unable to set flags for iface "ens3f0": Operation not permitted
31/5/2016 -- 22:17:37 - <Notice> - all 28 packet processing threads, 4
management threads initialized, engine started.

--build-info
-----------------

This is Suricata version 3.0.1 RELEASE

Features: PCAP_SET_BUFF LIBPCAP_VERSION_MAJOR=1 AF_PACKET NETMAP
HAVE_PACKET_FANOUT LIBCAP_NG LIBNET1.1 HAVE_HTP_URI_NORMALIZE_HOOK PCRE_JIT
HAVE_NSS HAVE_LIBJANSSON TLS

SIMD support: SSE_4_2 SSE_4_1 SSE_3

Atomic intrisics: 1 2 4 8 16 byte(s)

64-bits, Little-endian architecture

GCC version 5.3.1 20160406 (Red Hat 5.3.1-6), C version 199901

compiled with _FORTIFY_SOURCE=0

L1 cache line size (CLS)=64

thread local storage method: __thread

compiled with LibHTP v0.5.19, linked against LibHTP v0.5.19

Suricata Configuration:

  AF_PACKET support:                       yes

  PF_RING support:                         no

  NFQueue support:                         no

  NFLOG support:                           no

  IPFW support:                            no

  Netmap support:                          yes

  DAG enabled:                             no

  Napatech enabled:                        no

  Unix socket enabled:                     yes

  Detection enabled:                       yes

  libnss support:                          yes

  libnspr support:                         yes

  libjansson support:                      yes

  hiredis support:                         no

  Prelude support:                         no

  PCRE jit:                                yes

  LUA support:                             no

  libluajit:                               no

  libgeoip:                                no

  Non-bundled htp:                         no

  Old barnyard2 support:                   no

  CUDA enabled:                            no

  Hyperscan support:                       no

  Suricatasc install:                      yes

  Unit tests enabled:                      no

  Debug output enabled:                    no

  Debug validation enabled:                no

  Profiling enabled:                       no

  Profiling locks enabled:                 no

  Coccinelle / spatch:                     no

Generic build parameters:

  Installation prefix:                     /opt/suricata

  Configuration directory:                 /opt/suricata/etc/suricata/

  Log directory:                           /var//opt/suricata/log/suricata/

  --prefix                                 /opt/suricata

  --sysconfdir                             /opt/suricata/etc

  --localstatedir                          /var//opt/suricata

  Host:                                    x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  Compiler:                                gcc (exec name) / gcc (real)

  GCC Protect enabled:                     no

  GCC march native enabled:                yes

  GCC Profile enabled:                     no

  Position Independent Executable enabled: no

  CFLAGS                                   -g -O2 -march=native

  PCAP_CFLAGS

  SECCFLAGS

> Do you see anything else in your systemlos when this happens?

Unfortunately there isn't much coming out of the systemd journal at the
time of the hang, mostly just messages from netmap, see:

kernel: *924.656725 [ 473] ixgbe_netmap_configure_srrctl bufsz: 4096
srrctl: 4*