[Oisf-users] Roadmap Development Session at SuriCon

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Fri Sep 23 09:50:54 UTC 2016

One of the most exciting things of last year's Suricata User Conference
in Barcelona was the road map discussion. For those who weren't there,
this is how it worked: the dev team sat on the stage and explained some
of the ideas for next steps in Suricata development. There was a lively
discussion between the team and the crowd. Many ideas were thrown in
(and out as well). At the end of the session we had a list of wishes and
ideas. The dev team did a guestimate of effort on each. Then together we
all discussed priorities.

Last year's list included the following 'top priority' ideas:

flow bypass: almost done
failing better: in progress
hyperscan integration: mostly done
performance recommendation: needs work
default config improvements: mostly done
dynamic stream depth: almost done

The result of last year was also NOT doing some work. The group didn't
care much about a binary output for EVE (e.g. bson or similar), so we
avoided spending time on that.

In our survey of the Barcelona conference, we learned that some ppl
found this session extremely valuable, but other ppl much less so. For
this reason we're doing the session on the 3rd & last day of our
conference now. If people don't care much they can skip it and head home
early.

I'm looking very much forward to doing another session like this in DC,
so please consider joining us at SuriCon! [1]

Oh and bring your wish list :)

Cheers,
Victor

[1] http://suricon.net