[Oisf-users] problem with af-packet in 3.1.2

Michael Stone mstone at mathom.us
Wed Sep 28 12:26:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 08:47:46AM +0200, Peter Manev wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Michael Stone <mstone at mathom.us> wrote:
>> I generally use af-packet in my suricata deployments, but on some machines
>> with i210 interfaces running 3.1.2 that configuration causes suricata to
>> spin all cpus at 100%, while dropping most of the traffic.  (The stats file
>> lists capture.kernel_packets, doesn't list drops, but the shutdown message
>> says that almost all the packets were dropped.) If I use the same
>
>Do you have any err/warnings in your suricata.log(or at start)?

Nothing.

>Can you share the last update entry in stats.log when using afpacket
>on the problematic machines?

Counter                                    | TM Name                   | Value
capture.kernel_packets                     | Total                     | 664249
capture.kernel_drops                       | Total                     | 428586
flow.spare                                 | Total                     | 10000
tcp.memuse                                 | Total                     | 1572864
tcp.reassembly_memuse                      | Total                     | 12320544
flow.memuse                                | Total                     | 7154304

>> configuration but substitute a USB ethernet adapter, everything behaves as
>> expected. If I use the i210 interface but switch from af-packet to pcap,
>> everything behaves as expected. If I downgrade to a 3.0 version of suricata,
>> everything works with af-packet. No earlier release of 3.1.x works with
>> af-packet. I've tried 3.16 and 4.6 kernels with no difference in the
>
>Can you get an idea in a bit more detail from perf top?

  89.85%  suricata               [.] AFPReadFromRing
   0.59%  suricata               [.] SigMatchListSMBelongsTo
   0.48%  [kernel]               [k] clear_page
   0.32%  suricata               [.] SCACCreateDeltaTable
   0.28%  suricata               [.] SCACCreateFailureTable
   0.24%  suricata               [.] SCACPreparePatterns
   0.18%  suricata               [.] PacketPoolWaitForN
   0.14%  [kernel]               [k] acpi_idle_do_entry
   0.13%  suricata               [.] MpmStorePrepareBuffer2
   0.11%  libpthread-2.19.so     [.] pthread_mutex_trylock

Mike Stone