[Oisf-users] Suricata 4.0.0 EVE output vs Suricata 3.2.0

Tom Peterson tom at cloudshark.org
Wed Aug 2 18:27:30 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Thanks for all the hard work on Suricata! I've found it quite easy to
build, install, and configure on CentOS which I'm sure took a lot of work
and it's just been very user friendly to work with!

I'm looking at Suricata 4.0.0 and the EVE output that it generates and I'm
noticing some differences from Suricata 3.2.0. For example I'm looking at
the following rule:

alert http $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ET TROJAN Windows
executable base64 encoded";
 flow: established,from_server;
 file_data;
 content:"TVqQA";
 pcre:"/^[A-Za-z0-9]{3}(?:[A-Za-z0-9+/]{4}|\s){100}/Rs";
 reference:md5,49aca228674651cba776be727bdb7e60;
 classtype:trojan-activity;
 sid:2018856;
 rev:10;
)

In Suricata 4.0.0 I'm noticing that the 'pcap_cnt' and 'payload' values are
no longer in the EVE json report.

My guess is that this has something to do with the 'file_data' keyword in
the rule and the new http and metadata logging options in Suricata 4.0.0.
I've played with these options a bit but I haven't found a way to get to
these two values in the EVE output.

I'm still investigating this but was wondering if anyone could help me
understand this difference.

I believe the relevant portion of the eve-log config is:

Suricata 3.2.0:

      types:
        - alert:
            payload: yes             # enable dumping payload in Base64
            # payload-buffer-size: 4kb # max size of payload buffer to
output in eve-log
            # payload-printable: yes   # enable dumping payload in
printable (lossy) format
            # packet: yes              # enable dumping of packet (without
stream segments)
            http: no                # enable dumping of http fields
            tls: no                 # enable dumping of tls fields
            ssh: no                 # enable dumping of ssh fields
            smtp: no                # enable dumping of smtp fields
            dnp3: no                # enable dumping of DNP3 fields

Suricata 4.0.0:

      types:
        - alert:
            payload: yes             # enable dumping payload in Base64
            # payload-buffer-size: 4kb # max size of payload buffer to
output in eve-log
            # payload-printable: yes   # enable dumping payload in
printable (lossy) format
            # packet: yes              # enable dumping of packet (without
stream segments)
            http-body: no           # enable dumping of http body in Base64
            http-body-printable: no # enable dumping of http body in
printable format
            metadata: no              # add L7/applayer fields, flowbit and
other vars to the alert

Right now I've generated alerts for all of the malware-traffic-analysis
pcaps with the ET Open rules on Suricata 3.2.0 and 4.0.0 and going through
all of the differences in the EVE output. If anyone is interested I can
share my other findings so far.

Thanks,
Tom