[Oisf-users] Can I block DDos attack via Suricata-IDS?

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 4 18:12:11 UTC 2017

On 2/3/2017 7:03 AM, Peter Manev wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Cooper F. Nelson <cnelson at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>> I was using the automatic feature in the .yaml.  I just explicitly
>> defined it in the rules as well.
>
> Do you see any diff/improvement that way?

I'm measuring performance as % packet drops over 24hs.  Did not see any
clear difference.

>> Btw, I posted about this earlier, but I'm basically doing a 'prefilter'
>> for doing file extraction by magic number by building a custom magic.mgc
>> file.  If you only build in the magic numbers you are interested in
>> matching on it vastly improves performance (when using the filemagic
>> keyword).
>
> Yes that is a cool trick. Did you see perf hit across the whole system
> or just a subset of CPU(s)?

Whole system.  Suri is using one filemagic thread per detect thread.
Matching magic numbers with hyperscan would be way better, but that's a
tall order I think!

Network Security Analyst
UCSD ITS Security Team
cnelson at ucsd.edu x41042