[Oisf-users] Suricata SMTP Rules Fired - Now What...?

Cloherty, Sean E scloherty at mitre.org
Fri Jan 13 22:26:42 UTC 2017

"Without the traffic it's hard to tell if it's false positive or correct matches."

- Agreed - but since we've been struggling to get SMTP rules to work in Suricata, I would lean towards these alerts being related, if not indicators of some underlying issue dogging our SMTP rules.  Notably, the rules failing are content matches on Base64 encoded attachments.

Description / configuration

I've attached my yaml and the startup script.

Server is running CentOS 7.2 / 3.10.0-327.36.3.el7.x86_64
128 GB RAM / 32 CPU Threads / Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz
I am using CPU affinity to allow workers only on the cpus in the same NUMA as the NIC (thank you Peter!)
NIC = Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01) (Intel 10Gb -  ixgbe 4.4.6 drivers)