[Oisf-users] suricata 3.2.0 for 10Gb performance

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:04:09 UTC 2017

> On 20 Jan 2017, at 02:08, Maxim <hittlle at 163.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Cooper,
> Thanks very much. I could not open http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=148181173415107&w=2 to patch my ixgbe driver. I use ixgbe-4.4.6, the latest version downloaded from Intel official site. Do I need to patch it? Could you please share your experience to optimize suricata performance? Could you please send me a list? Currently, I use multiple queues and RSS, and plus RFS, and my setup can process nearly 5 gigabits of traffic per second. I wanna try your way, that is single receive queue + RFS. Another question is that what size of RX queue should I set? Does this size have something to do with CPU layer 3 cache size? I used perf to record my cache misses, my cache miss rate is nearly 50%, maybe I can reduce this. Many thanks.

You need to take care of the 50% CPU cache misses. It is quite big a percentage.
Make sure the NUMA node location is correct and the NIC descriptor ring size is optimal (that does not  necessarily mean maximum).

Michal spent quite a bit of effort (repetitive adjust,run,check) trying to find the optimal "golden middle" one for our set up (described in the paper) including throttling and coalescence (which also also comes into play in that case).