[Oisf-users] af_packet and rss queue count

erik clark philosnef at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:05:37 UTC 2017

If you set a symmetric queue (posted elsewhere in some thread), I believe
you do not see issues with reordering. We have seen output from pf_ring and
af_packet as being near identical in logged connections, events, so unless
pf_ring is also mangling connectings the same way as if_packet/AF_PACKET,
we can assume this is a non-issue. Packet loss is actually substantually
lower for both suricata and bro using a symmetric key, proper udp/tcp
hashing, and af_packet compared to pf_ring on identical hardware. It comes
at cost of cpu over memory however.