[Oisf-users] SEPTun and memory usage

erik clark philosnef at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 13:44:20 UTC 2017

Sean, thanks for this. I think I had actually googled up your paper before.
:) This memory calculator is very nice.

I noticed that when I squashed rss queue to 1 on a 4.12 kernel, I went from
less than .05% packet loss to ~9% packet loss. Any idea why that might have
occured? I have read some conflicting things about rss queues depending on
kernel version, namely this bit:

AF_PACKET: 1 RSS queue and stay on kernel <=4.2 or make sure you have
>=4.4.16, >=4.6.5 or >=4.7. Exception: if RSS is symmetric cluster-type
'cluster_qm' can be used to bind Suricata to the RSS queues. Disable NIC
offloading except the rx/tx csum.

from
https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/Packet_Capture

Thank you for all the help tuning out memory issues suri. My goal is to try
and get packet loss below .01%. Heres for trying!