[Oisf-users] stats.log - append / overwrite options?

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 06:52:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Cloherty, Sean E <scloherty at mitre.org> wrote:
> I am using Zabbix to track and display capture kernel packets and capture
> kernel drops.  I am grabbing them from the stats.log using the following
> parameters in the Zabbix config –
>

>       UserParameter=capture.kernel_packets[*],tac
> '/var/log/suricata/stats.log' | grep -m 1 capture.kernel_packets | awk
> '/[0-9]/ {print $NF}'
>
>       UserParameter=capture.kernel_drops[*], tac
> '/var/log/suricata/stats.log'  | grep 'capture.kernel_drops'|awk '/[0-9]/
> {print $NF}'
>

> Is there an option to overwrite the stats.log at every Suricata restart?  I
> guess I could have ALL stats reported even if there is no value, but I was
> wondering if there is another way of accomplishing this.

  # Stats.log contains data from various counters of the suricata engine.
  - stats:
      enabled: yes
      filename: stats.log
      totals: yes       # stats for all threads merged together
      threads: no       # per thread stats
      #null-values: yes  # print counters that have value 0
      append: no

I think "append: no" would do what you are looking for.

> My current setup is good unless you restart. If there are no drops since the
> recent restart, then the search will work backwards through stats.log until
> it gets to the last drop entry which will not be valid if there are no
> current drops.
>

> Thank you.
>

> Sean Cloherty
>
> InfoSec Engineer/Scientist, Lead