[Oisf-users] Ransomware detection

Brad Woodberg bwoodberg at proofpoint.com
Fri Jun 30 01:33:19 UTC 2017

Hi Alexis,

There is probably hundreds of rules in ET Open for Ransomware, and probably thousands in ETPro to detect ransomware (and many many other types of malware / malicious activity.)  We typically write a rule for each unique fingerprint we can assign to a given malware/campaign/vector.  Often times, malware will trigger not only on the specific signatures, but also on other indicators of suspicious activity.

Currently, we’re releasing about 15:1 ETPro : ET Open signatures.  Any signatures submitted by the public or signatures that we write based upon public research goes into the Open ruleset which we curate/QA/package as a service to the community.  Any signatures that we develop based upon our own research / our own IP would go into ETPro (for both Snort and Suricata.)

If you have a specific question around the rules/ruleset we’ll be happy to address it.

Best Regards,
Brad Woodberg l Group Product Manager, ETPro, Security Tools
Proofpoint, Inc.

E: bwoodberg at proofpoint.com<mailto:bwoodberg at proofpoint.com>
[id:image001.png at 01D285E1.0101B2B0]<http://www.proofpoint.com/>
threat protection l compliance l archiving & governance l secure communication