[Oisf-users] Ransomware detection

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 30 17:59:08 UTC 2017

See the replies from the ET peeps below.  This more a threat
intelligence question vs. suricata itself.  Suricata can detect anything
with a network presence, with of course the limitation that it cannot
inspect within encrypted tunnels.

Anyways, the premium EmergingThreats feed provides excellent coverage
for "known knowns", i.e. active exploits and campaigns.  I've uncovered
many ransomware infections in this manner.

However, to be absolutely clear, ransomware==crimeware and their entire
production and distribution mechanism is geared around evading
signature-based detection.  So it is not and never will be a 100%
solution.  I've seen multiple zero-day campaigns that went undetected by
all the big vendors.  I've also seen ransomware that does not utilize
any CnC mechanism post-infection.  And javascript droppers that use a
trivial XOR obfuscation to evade network sandbox detection.  The list
goes on and it will never end.

Best practice is harden your perimeter/endpoints against the
distribution mechanism, vs. counting on detecting infections after the
fact.

-Coop