[Oisf-users] All Good Except NFQ Repeat Mode

Dominic Ruggiero dominic1011 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:02:30 UTC 2017

Greetings!

I am using Suricata version 3.2.1 to protect my host computer.

Host OS: Lubuntu Linux 16.04.2 LTS
Kernel:  Linux 4.8.0-51-generic (x86-64).

I do use a router for its hardware firewall, but do not have a LAN set up.

I am using AFP capture and host-mode: auto.

Host situation two most simple iptable rules:

sudo iptables -I INPUT -j NFQUEUE
sudo iptables -I OUTPUT -j NFQUEUE

Run suricata with the NFQ mode:

sudo suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -q 0

IPS nfq accept mode works great as does the drop.log and Oinkmaster.

Here is the relevant suricata.log output after running in nfq accept mode:

(RX-Q0) Treated: Pkts 35902, Bytes 14951572, Errors 0
(RX-Q0) Verdict: Accepted 35895, Dropped 6, Replaced 0

I would like to run Suricata in nfq repeat mode, but I don't believe
that I've configured it properly.

Here are the relevant suricata.yaml settings:

nfq:
   mode: repeat
   repeat-mark: 1
   repeat-mask: 1
#  bypass-mark: 1
#  bypass-mask: 1
#  route-queue: 2
#  batchcount: 20
#  fail-open: yes

Here is the relevant suricata.log output after running in nfq repeat mode:

(RX-Q0) Treated: Pkts 35343, Bytes 9763340, Errors 18144
(RX-Q0) Verdict: Accepted 17197, Dropped 2, Replaced 0

Only 17197 of the 35343 treated pkts during this session were accepted
due to the 18144 errors.

I am hoping that I have just made a simple newbie error.

Any suggestions? Thanks!