[Oisf-users] Suricata in-line af-packet appears to be messing with RADIUS from my APs

Dylan B. Walter DBWalter at goodwilleasterseals.org
Tue May 30 21:35:48 UTC 2017

Hi,

First time poster here.  I have Suricata in-line running in af-packet mode using the binary packages in the apt repository, IP tables completely empty on Ubuntu 16.04, fully patched.  It sits between my router and switch on an 802.1q trunk.  All services work fine for wired clients on all 4 VLANs.  Radius logons work to my cisco catalyst switch (UDP 1645 auth/1646 accounting), but my Meraki WAP's radius fails (UDP 1812-auth).  If I disable Suricata and flip my inline pair to a bridge it works just fine.  I considered that maybe it was just 1812 and switched the Meraki's to use 1645, same behavior.  If I capture packets from the IPS, from the perimeter router, from the core firewall, and from the RADIUS server itself it looks the same:

Access-Request WAP->Radius Server
Access-Challenge Radius Server->WAP
Access-Request WAP->Radius Server
Access-Challenge Radius Server->WAP (fragmented and re-assembled)

What's weird is I see nothing in fast.log or drop.log referencing my AP's IP, nor my Radius server so one would think that means it's not acting on it, but the problem goes away when it's bypassed.

I can included sanitized config snippets if that's helpful?

On my inline pair I'm disabling the following features on each nic, 0 being the "outside" 1 being the "inside".

# ETH0
auto enp0s20f0
        iface enp0s20f0 inet manual
        up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
        up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE tso off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE gro off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE lro off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE gso off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE rx off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE tx off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE sg off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE rxvlan off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE txvlan off
        down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
        down ifconfig $IFACE down
# ETH1
auto enp0s20f1
        iface enp0s20f1 inet manual
        up ifconfig $IFACE 0.0.0.0 up
        up ip link set $IFACE promisc on
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE tso off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE gro off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE lro off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE gso off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE rx off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE tx off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE sg off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE rxvlan off
        post-up ethtool -K $IFACE txvlan off
        down ip link set $IFACE promisc off
        down ifconfig $IFACE down

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Dylan