[Oisf-users] Addressing PCI Gen2 limitations on a 10G deployment.

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Sun Nov 19 00:47:44 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm in the process of a long-overdue Suricata hardware upgrade.

Unfortunately, the hardware (a Dell PowerEdge 815) was ordered some time
ago and has a previous generation PCI Gen2 bus.

We currently have a single Intel 82599ES controller with dual 10gb
interfaces in it.  Unfortunately, it appears that due to the older PCI
bus design we are limited to capturing only about 5Gb per interface.

The 82599ES cards are fairly inexpensive now so I was thinking of simply
replacing the original dual-port card with two new 82599ES single-port
controllers.  So, what I'm asking is, does anyone have experience doing
10Gb+ capture on older PCI Gen2 hardware with multiple NICs?  I'm hoping
that running in a separate slot will clear this bottleneck.

Thanks in advance - Coop

Network Security Analyst
UCSD ITS Security Team
cnelson at ucsd.edu x41042