[Oisf-users] Updating suricata rules

Jeff Dyke jeff.dyke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 15:44:09 UTC 2017

I guess this begs the question, what is the canonical way, the docs for
suricata(
https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/rule-management/oinkmaster.html),
reccomend oinkmaster, which i am and find incredibly useful.

For the OP, those are warnings not errors, depending on the rule, you can
likely, and should, just remove it from your disablesid list.  I have run
into this before and have come to expect that some may get removed from
time to time, but does not happen often to me and will run just fine with
those warnings.  But given its security based I do clean them.

I like this version, oinkmaster, b/c i have multiple suricata installations
in multiple environments, so I update the rules on a Configuration MGMT
server (currently https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/), rule files
managed by git and then run a state via cron, or manually, that updates on
all the known nodes in the environment and runs suricatasc -c reload-rules

The main reason i chose this is that i use AWS and don't want to open
another web port to manage rules (there are other ways to get to a web ui i
realize), then i monitor the rule results in cloudwatch logs, which i've
also chosen for other security software that comes with web UIs.  FWIW, it
does look like a nice app!

Jeff