[Oisf-users] How to deploy suricata

Chris Boley ilgtech75 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:21:21 UTC 2018

Hi Utkarsh, I can't take credit for syntax you'll see below. Some other
really brilliant guy posted this method on Sept 9th 2017 if you want to go
fishing in the archives:
To grab pcaps from a device and ship to a suricata server that can analyze
said pcaps.. this might be one way..

Post name:  Suricata "bogus savefile header" error message
Sep 9, 2017

Basic thought behind this is:
Capture pcaps and ship/transfer them from the perimeter firewall/router to
the suricata instance over SSH with:

tcpdump -nn -i br0 -F tcpdumpfilter -w - | ssh -T user at x.x.x.x "cat ->
/home/user/somedirectory/br0-remote.pcap"

and then on the suricata server--      run:

sudo suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -r
/home/user/somedirectory/br0-remote.pcap

This would take massive amounts of server memory/storage and compute to run
120 PCAPS simultaneously...
I'm not entirely sure it's realistic ;) I'm just giving you a frame of
reference...

If you figure out a way to do this, I tip my hat to you sir and would love
to hear about how you made it happen! I'm thinking KVM based V-guests or
docker containers running multiple suricatas on 4 or 5 huge servers....
Sorry thinking out loud.. I digress..

Where the logging is concerned, well, I already suggested that you can use
OWLH.. or you could simply ship everything back to a SEIM via syslog with
custom log triggers that would email you upon receiving specific alert
keywords in the logging etc..

I hope I've helped more than I've caused confusion..
Best,
CB