[Oisf-users] Suricata Performance Tuning

Edgmand, Craig craig.edgmand at okstate.edu
Thu Aug 30 15:03:32 UTC 2018

Hello,

       I am working on a new Suricata server (Dell PowerEdge R710, 72 Gb of memory, 2 6 core procs) using a Myricom 10 card running snf v3. It needs to process between 3 and 6 Gb of traffic fed by a NetOptics agg tap.

       Currently the system is dropping about 10% of the packets and the SNF drop ring is full so that implies that Suricata is not keeping up with processing.  I currently have 20 threads running and about 16 Gb of free memory.

       I have read SEPTun, SEPTun-Mark-II, the Suricata docs, the Myricom user guide, Peter Manev old blogs, etc...

       And what I want to know is what performance tuning options have the greatest impact?   Outside of buying faster processors, more memory or a different nic card.  :)

                Is it the suricata.yaml configuration options?

                Is it hyperscan?

                Sysctl settings?

                Ethtool tweaks?

                BIOS setting?