[Oisf-users] Suricata 4.0.3 with Napatech problems

Steve Castellarin steve.castellarin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 18:08:54 UTC 2018

All,

I've been running Suricata 3.1.1 (with Hyperscan) on an Ubuntu 14.04.5
64bit system with an older Napatech driver set for quite a while with no
issues.  The system is running dual E5-2660 v3 @2.60Ghz processors with
128Gb of memory.  I've gone ahead and upgraded the Napatech drivers to
10.0.4 and downloaded/compiled Suricata 4.0.3.  I've done the best I can to
copy configuration settings from the 3.1.1 suricata.yaml to the 4.0.3
suricata.yaml.  I run Suricata by issuing:
  /usr/bin/suricata -c /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml --napatech --runmode
workers -D

I continue to see issues where Suricata will run for a time when I notice
one of the CPUs hitting 100%, and stay there.  Then when running Napatech's
"profiling" command I'll see one of the host buffers dropping 100% of the
packets.  As time goes along another CPU/host buffer will have the same
issue, etc, etc.

I've been banging my head over this for a couple weeks with no success,
other than killing the Suricata process then restarting - to only have this
issue crop up again.

One thing I notice, when I issue the "kill `pidof suricata`" Suricata will
take a while to end gracefully.  But, it leaves the PID file behind in
/var/run.

Any ideas on how to attack this, before I have to roll back my upgrade?

Thanks!!