[Oisf-users] Suricata 4.0.3 with Napatech problems

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 16:46:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Steve Castellarin
<steve.castellarin at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I notice is that whenever 4.0.3 has this issue and I issue a "kill
> `pidof suricata`" Suricata always logs two errors at the end of the
> suricata.log file:
>
> <Error> - [ERRCODE: SC_ERR_FATAL(171)] - Engine unable to disable detect
> thread - "W#[THREAD]-[HB#]".  Killing engine
> <Error> - [ERRCODE: SC_ERR_NAPATECH_INIT_FAILED(219)] - NT_InfoRead()
> failed: NTAPI is terminating

This needs maybe a bug/feature report - i havn't experienced it with
af-packet/pcap/pf-ring

> The "HB#" from the first error line matches the host buffer seeing the
> spiraling packet drops.  This offending host buffer is always noted in the
> "suricata.log" file with messages like:
>
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Host Buffer Fill Level :   25%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Host Buffer Fill Level :   51%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Host Buffer Fill Level :   75%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Host Buffer Fill Level :  100%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Adapter SDRAM Fill Level:   26%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Adapter SDRAM Fill Level:   53%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Adapter SDRAM Fill Level:   80%
> <Info> - HB# - Increasing Adapter SDRAM Fill Level:  100%
>

> Could this point to an issue with the Napatech code in Suricata - and how it
> pulls/polls/etc data from the Napatech?

Might be.
Can you try to split the rules you are loading and just load 1/2 of
the rules for example - see if that is going to have any effect
(switch each 1/2 too to take turn to run)?

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Steve Castellarin
> <steve.castellarin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I made the change to mpm-algo and spm-algo as you asked.  Suricata 4.0.3
>> ran for just over 2 hours then exhibited the same 100% buffer/packets
>> dropping with one CPU pegged at 100%.  I'm attaching a .zip with the stats &
>> suricata.log files.  At the time of the hangup I noticed that our bandwidth
>> utilization was under 800Mbps.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:12 AM, Peter Manev <petermanev at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is the default setting -
>>>
>>> https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/repository/revisions/master/entry/suricata.yaml.in#L1024
>>> with regards to autofp - but in your case you are using "--napatech
>>> --runmode workers" so it should be unrelated.

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Peter Manev

Peter Manev