[Oisf-users] High Suricata capture.kernel_drops

Peter Manev petermanev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:06:55 UTC 2018

> On 11 Jul 2018, at 22:02, fatema bannatwala <fatema.bannatwala at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Sean.
>
> I have two NUMA nodes, and Node 0 is the NICs NUMA node:
>
> NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36,38
> NUMA node1 CPU(s):     1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37,39
>
> $ cat /sys/class/net/em1/device/numa_node
> 0
>
> So does that mean that I can assign only threads from NUMA node0 to the management-cpu-set and worker-cpu-set, as it's the NICs NUMA node?

There are two ways you can go by here (the way I see it) but I think the easiest from administrative point (to at least try out fast) might be to just use numactl (including membind if needed) to make sure Suri is using the NICs local NUMA

> I am not able to figure out from Septun doc that what threads/cores would be pinned to which set in cpu-affinity, as you suggested earlier, hence went with "all" in worker and cpu sets by default.
>
> I will try to update the drivers for the NICs next.

That is always recommended !

> As for HS, I didn't know about it before, and now that I have already compiled Suricata from source, and do $suricata --buil-info, if shows "Hyperscan support: no".
> Hence assuming that I have to recompile suricata again to get that enabled, which I would not like to do as of now.

There is an example here of how to compile Hyperscan on Ubuntu from the docs-
https://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/performance/hyperscan.html?highlight=Hyperscan

Thanks