[Oisf-users] Fw: Why so many rules disabled?

Francis Trudeau ftrudeau at emergingthreats.net
Tue Jul 17 20:34:45 UTC 2018

This is more of a question for the ET list in the future:

The reason in this particular case is that the shellcode rules
are/were super FP (False Positive) prone.  In some environments it may
be safe to turn them on but in most they'll FP.  We leave them in the
set but  commented out for anyone who wants to use them.

There's a few common reasons why we disable rules:

1.  FPs, like the example above.
2.  Old, irrelevant.
3.  Bad performance.

Thanks,