[Oisf-users] Suricata vs Bro

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 25 19:22:42 UTC 2018

Bro offers:

1) Metadata logging for more protocols than suricata currently, however
this gap is shrinking with the upcoming 4.1 suricata release.  Also, the
new rust support allows for adding support for new protocols in a more
generic fashion (vs. having to build it into the engine).

2) A Turing complete scripting language.  So in theory you can write a
bro policy script to detect any event or sequence of events observed on
a network.  You can partially duplicate this functionality with suricata
signatures, flowbits and Lua, however it isn't as generic as Bro.  Since
suricata is built around finite-state machines, it's detection engine is
orders of magnitude faster.

I replaced our (multiple) snort and bro instances with a single suricata
sensor, given it's multithreaded architecture.  I was only using bro for
protocol logging some common stuff, which suricata has supported for
years.  I personally see bro as more a tool for network forensics, (like
argus), vs. a pure IDS these days.  So many run both on the same machine
and use bro to review suricata alerts in context.

-Coop