[Oisf-users] Question about cpu-affinity

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 1 16:12:24 UTC 2018

Hi Eric,

I hope you don't mind me copying you directly, as I saw you were the
author of the threading/cpu-affinity module.

I'm wondering if it is currently possible when using multiple interfaces
to 'interleave' the threads so that they are evenly distributed across
all cores.  For example, consider a system with 16 cores and two
interfaces, configured with 8 threads each.

Can you do something like this?

  - detect-cpu-set

        cpu: [ 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 ]

        mode: "exclusive"

The idea is we want the first 8 threads allocated to 0-14, even cores
only.  The next 8 threads being allocated to 1-16, odd cores only.  Lets
assume we are using RSS in this example.

I had a look at the code and while it appears that this how you have
implemented it, I'm not 100% certain, so I wanted to verify.

Thanks in advance!

Network Security Analyst
UCSD ITS Security Team
cnelson at ucsd.edu x41042