[Oisf-users] Question about cpu-affinity

Cooper F. Nelson cnelson at ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 5 06:04:13 UTC 2018

On 3/2/2018 3:03 AM, Eric Leblond wrote:
>> Or maybe allow defining named cpu sets and allow assigning those to
>> af-packet interface configs:
>>
>> - cpu-set
>>   name: af-packet-eth0
>>   cpu: [ 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14]
>>   mode: "exclusive"
>> - cpu-set
>>   name: af-packet-eth1
>>   cpu: [1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 ]
>>   mode: "exclusive"
>>

>> af-packet:
>>   - interface: eth0
>>     cluster-id: 99
>>     cpu-set: "af-packet-eth0"
>>   - interface: eth1
>>     cluster-id: 98
>>     cpu-set: "af-packet-eth1"
> I like this second proposal better. From what I've seen a few packet
> capture APIs are using the numa node in the capture params, maybe we
> could combined both approach.

I'll vote for this as approach as well.

For some context, I've just got done deploying a 64 core AMD Piledriver
suricata system.  Dual 10 gig Intel NICs (ixgbe driver).

I based my build on Peter Manev's SEPTUN guide, however since AMD
doesn't support the same caching architecture that Intel does
(specifically DCA and DDIO) the performance wasn't as expected.  Using a
single RSS queue simply doesn't work, the core is pegged @100% with
significant packet loss.

What I ended up doing was creating a hybrid deployment that used my
standard HPC server build, 4 RSS queues/cores per NIC/NUMA node and
cluster_flow to have suri distribute flows to the remaining 56 cores in
software.  The reason I wanted to interleave the detect threads was to
leverage the AMD Hypertransport bus to evenly distribute the load from
both NICs over the whole system.

Network Security Analyst
UCSD ITS Security Team
cnelson at ucsd.edu x41042