[Oisf-users] AMD Piledriver "Elephant Gun" runmode (was Re: Question about cpu-affinity)

Michał Purzyński michalpurzynski1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 01:50:44 UTC 2018

Thanks for a field report.

Ideally you want to minimize the number of context switches, so I see why separating RSS from worker threads helps here.

This would also be a valid optimization for Intel.

Same story with timers - 100Hz max and with the careful process pining, including moving of kernel threads away from cores doing rss and workers makes the kernel tick once per second or so, minimizing context switches and cache / tlb trashing.